Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I know it includes apples...

So for my birthday I received a Barnes and Noble gift card (thanks Barb!) and spent it on a new cookbook. It's a basic one with recipes for meatloaf and lasagna. I have lots of cookbooks but none of them have regular recipes. So anyway, I've decided to branch out and try to make a pie. From scratch. So I bought everything Saturday, including ice cream, and told my adoring husband of my grand scheme.

Well. We get invited to two Thanksgiving dinners (though one will be a lunch). And my fabulous husband volunteers me to make apple pies for both. What?? Wait! Huh?? Yes, that is right. I have never made one, but now am making two for other people to consume and enjoy. And thanks to that husband, they know to watch out for a frozen pie so I can't pass it off as my own.

I only hope that it does not turn out like the spice cake I made last year. Oh, the cake was good. But the icing, ohhhhh the icing. I cooked it too long, spread it on the cake and it turned solid. Honestly, it was like hard candy. My mom couldn't cut it and finally PICKED up the cake and turned it UPSIDE DOWN to cut pieces.

Pies aren't known for being turned upside down. I'll let you know how it goes.

And for you, faithful viewers, I have a fun new game. Ok, I think it will be fun but you will just think I'm being odd. A special No-Prize to the first person to name this show!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe I am admitting this...the show is "California Dreams." Sigh.

Hugs said...

Wow, got it in one, very impressive!

Anonymous said...

Never heard of it

Anonymous said...

husband

Hugs said...

You never heard of it because you aren't cool! Or because I had not life in high school.

I'm going to say its the first reason...

Julie said...

I knew I recognized it and clicked on the picture to see it better. Naturally I looked at the URL and noticed the picture title was CaliforniaDreams so I didn't bother to guess. I wouldn't have come up with it, though.

Hugs said...

Yeah, I realized that later, Julie. So now I am saving them and just using numbers to up the ante.

Rob said...

Hey, I just now started reading your blog from the beginning, so sorry this comment is SOOO late. But there's a sign that you're a comic book fan (specifically Marvel): you use the term No-Prize!