Friday, January 05, 2007

The return of Yoga

Back in the days of teaching at Live Oaks, twice a week a handful of teachers would gather and gripe and complain. Then they would breath deeply, stretch, balance and pretend to be a corpse. After that, everything was right in the world (at least for the rest of the evening).

But seriously, there were about five teachers who would do yoga after school. The instructor, Heather, was the daughter of a teacher who was trying to get her certificate and had to teach. So we were her lucky students. It was beginners yoga, basic poses and salutations. And over time I did get stretchier and more balanced. It even had the power to get rid of developing migraines. When Heather received her certification we wooed her back with money (and I think she thought we were entertaining). She had a soothing voice and would walk around and help us with our positions. I was forever tensing my shoulders and she would just walk by and put a hand on one and I would immediately drop them into a more comfortable position.

Alas, Columbus has yet to yield such a great instructor. I went to a Yoga class at the gym and it was crazy. The instructor was shouting out positions like an enthusiastic aerobics instructor. There was no pausing and breathing. And there were mirrors, so I could see just how bad I looked trying to keep up with sweat dripping down my knees. I was just happy I hadn't tried the Power Yoga class. And it really didn't help that the instructor had an obvious boob job. There is something just wrong about a yoga instructor with a boob job.

Last week I tried Yoga 101, for beginners. It is back to soothing music and slow positions and a small group of people. There are still the mirrors. The instructor is amazingly in shape, but no implants so I'm more motivated then annoyed. Anyway, it's not what I had before but I like it and will stick with it (pending a teacher position that may come up, I'll tell you about it when I hear more).

Namaste

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's Namaste? typo?

Speaking of boob jobs, have we had a conversation on my thoughts on boob jobs? Don't get excited, I don't like them. I think we might have considering the multitude of modified mammaries at my gym.

Love you

Husband

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, I had a great yoga class in Boston, and haven't found once since returning. BTW, New Years was so much fun-you guys throw a great party! Thanks again!

Hugs said...

Hubby - namaste is a yoga expression, one translation is 'i honor you'

Ikkin - glad you had a good time :) seems like everyone did, so I call it a success.