Friday, September 05, 2008

Little Stories

Teaching is going really great. The students are definitely getting more comfortable with me as a teacher. They are great at doing homework and asking questions. And yesterday when I changed my mind about the homework assignment and gave them the night off they thanked me. Like honest and proper "Thank you Mrs. Hugs."

I'm still trying to adjust to the whole thing though. The class that uses the room before me keeps running a little bit later every day. I started five minutes late today. I'm just used to having bells to tell teachers to change classes.

But I had steam coming out of my ears today. I have asked twice about special schedules and how they might affect my class. And twice I was assured that my class is close to lunch time and won't be affected by assemblies and such. And twice this week I've had shortened classes. I asked about this and was told it was on the schedule. Yes, there are special events listed, but no one told me that my schedule would be affected! So now it is my responsibility to email in and ask every time I see something on the schedule. Which I can handle. I just wish I wasn't assured that my schedule wouldn't be changed just to have a ten minute class today.

--------

Yesterday I went to the library. Pretty much, I go to the library about twice a week. While I was checking out with one librarian (the cool one who is mid-twenties, wears nice button down sweaters and has tattoos covering her arms and chest) a man walked up to the librarian next to me. He said he wanted to check if he still had a library card and how he could get a new one. The librarian took his driver's license and looked him up. Yes, he did still have a card with them. However, he has two overdue books from '94. He could return them or pay the replacement cost.

--------

Our area had a special election in August over a couple of issues. One was a levy for senior citizens. The other was an income tax increase for a rec center. I'm happy to say I voted and Xander came along and smiled at the ladies working at the polls. I found out later that both issues passed, but the rec center issue was very close. A week later I read a statistic that said only 10% of the area actually voted that day. So about 5% of the local population decided that everyone needs to pay an extra hundred dollars or so each year.

So I made Chris register to vote.

-------

And finally, a fun link. I was actually rather proud that I know 11 of the answers. :)

Movie Poster Quiz

Have an awesome weekend!

No comments: