Tuesday, September 16, 2008

No School Today...

...no school today....no school today cause it blowed....

Anyone living in Ohio knows that Ike swept through as a giant windstorm on Sunday. I heard the winds matched the Blizzard of '78 (or, you know, a hurricane) but without the snow (or rain). I actually had to drive one and a half hours in it and had to dodge around something in the road about once every mile.

Our electricity was out for about five hours on Sunday, but was back on at about 7 that evening. The flashing was peeling off of part of the roof and one small chunk of siding came off. So we got off pretty easy. Walking around the neighborhood yesterday was odd, seeing how many people were on their roofs to fix shingles. One house put up a tarp (and the owners had just moved in last week), another was missing siding on half of one side. A couple of trees went down, but since most trees are still young, most people were ok on that front.

In the town, half of the electricity is still off, including the grocery stores. I stopped at one yesterday and they were selling non-perishable foods. It's odd walking through with only half of the lights on, all of the meat gone, the frozen foods section roped off and plastic hanging over the dairy. Lots of big trees are down around town. Fortunately, I haven't heard of any injuries.

So no school yesterday or today. We already have off Thursday and Friday. So we may have only one day of school this week. Or possibly none. I may work for less than an hour each day, but I still love getting out of school.

I do have a lot of little things to pick up at stores, but I don't know what is open and what isn't. I think I'll chance it just to get out today.

No comments: