Monday, June 09, 2008

Decisions, Decisions

This past year I stayed home instead of teaching, but did some tutoring on the side. But I miss teaching and getting out of the house. But when I teach I'm 'all-in' meaning I dedicate a lot of time to grading, making plans and projects and especially staying after school to work with students. That doesn't mesh too well with Xander's plans for me to wait on him hand and foot.

So the perfect plan would be a part time teaching position. But it would have to be local, because part time would not pay enough for daycare and gas prices. And of course, it would have to be math. That's not to much to ask, is it?

Apparently it's not. A local grade school (actually it's the school for the parish we belong to) is adding an 8th grade Algebra. A set of parents we know have been mentioning it all year because they are interested in me teaching it.

So I'm dusting off the resume and cover letter. No j0bs are actually listed on the website, but I'll just email them to the principal.

I'm surprisingly nervous about this. Maybe they won't be interested in me at all (why hire a teacher for one class, even if she has that special Algebra license?) or maybe they will love me (daycare? lesson planning? 8th graders??).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great! You could be the Mr. Maxon of the school!

Hugs said...

I know! I was just remembering how many spitballs I pulled out of my hair in that class.