Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Botched

I love telling you about the crafts I do because it makes me feel like I'm doing something fun and important. In reality, I figure many of you tune in to read fun antidotes and when you see a craft story, you skip it. For those who don't skip it, you are either amused at my sudden shift to knitting and sewing or you are aghast at how badly I do at it. Either way, I've only told you about my successes, such as they are. Here's a few that haven't gone over so well.

I bought material to make a pillow and curtain for Xander's room almost a year ago. I finally finished them last week. The pillow is nothing great at all. The curtain is not wide enough. I knew it would be close, but after washing and trimming and the seams it has to hang flat and even then there is room on each side. Chris said to just make another one, but I don't want to spend more money on it.

I tried to reconstruct a pair of jeans into a skirt ala the Pink Shoe. Um, it's definitely a skirt. It took so much work that towards the end I was just making it up as I went. The edges are really ragged, which will only get worse as I wash it.

I tried my first skirt from a pattern. I knew that sizes on patterns were not 'vanity-sized', but I forgot that I still wasn't back to my pre-pregnancy size. So it's too small and I haven't bothered to seam the bottom of it. It is sitting down on my craft table mocking me. I should just finish it and give it away already.

But here is one new project that did turn out well. While shopping I found a remnant that I liked, so I bought it (I've got to be careful not to become one of those people). I figured I could at least make another bag. But it was too pretty. So while sitting at the table pondering I noticed a water ring forming around my glass and thought about how Chris likes to put coasters on the table to stop the water rings but coasters on the dining room table drive me nuts. Oh, a table cloth! Or a table runner! But there wasn't enough material. So... place mats! They aren't normal size and have no backing or second layer, so not the greatest place mats. But I like them and when I'm done they will fit nicely around the table. Plus, I learned to miter corners and get to practice stitching straight lines. The fun doesn't stop around here!

Last Saturday was gorgeous, so Xander and I went window shopping with Ikkin. We found these fun aprons called Kitsch'n Glam that are awesome. They are much more fun in real life than on the website. That is totally something I would love to do.

No comments: