Saturday, February 02, 2008

A Rare Rant followed by Praise

I don't usually consider myself an opinionated person. Oh, I have opinions I just don't go around blathering on about them. I'm not a very eloquent speaker (and by using the word eloquent I prove myself wrong). Recently I read a book that made me form an opinion that I want to share but since no once else I know has read it, I have no one to blather my opinion to. I'm actually not too comfortable 'naming names' on my blog but, darn it, I feel like sharing.

So basically I am here to bore you with a book that you have not read. You can pretty much skim from here, get the point, roll your eyes at me and move on with your life.

To the point - the ending of "Confessor" by Terry Goodkind ticked me off. A little background for you follows: "Confessor" is the final book of a series called the Sword of Truth. Yes, it's a fantasy series (and I lose a few more readers). I'm a sucker for series because I always want to know what happens next. The first book had some violent scenes but I was otherwise entertained. I read the subsequent books and even bought one that I felt hit some good points about humanity. Well, after that book the serious takes those few points and turns them into long winded speeches and the speeches become not only 'this is what is good' but include 'this is what is bad.' And that is how the final book ends.

Basically the protagonist banishes everyone of faith because those people are haters and promote a culture of death. Ok, in the book that is true. But it was written in a way that feels like it not only represents our culture but our society is the result of the ending (the ending is the faith people are all banished to a new world without magic so they can reap what they sow).

I guess I feel like the author is saying that anyone who practices religion is evil. By making sacrifices I do not respect myself. By not having cable and giving that money to my church I am cultivating a hate culture. It just read like Goodkind has a huge religious chip on his shoulder and he just had to share. And his sharing was as subtle as a sledgehammer upside the head.

I'm glad I didn't buy the whole series.

Ok, the praise is for another series that I've read a couple of times. (a few people who may still be reading are totally expecting me to plug Wheel of Time) I don't know the name of the series, but there are three books about a woman named Kick written by Marne Davis Kellogg. Kick is a woman of a certain age, healthy weight and extravagent lifestyle (although I'm sure she'd disagree about the extravagence). She is also a world famous jewel thief known as the Shamrock Burglar.

The first book in the serious encompasses how Kick lives and how she gets out of the thieving business. The next two books are mysteries of her trying to catch other thieves. All of them describe a lifestyle that is almost hard to believe, with fancy food, fabulous hotels and of course wonderful jewelry.

There is just something about Kick's confidence, abilities, zest for life as well as the decadent world she lives in that I love. I feel more elegant just reading the books. Sure, they are a little 'chick lit' but we all can't enjoy "War and Peace."

No comments: