Monday, February 11, 2008

Adventures in Houseliving

First Story:

The house was attacked by a giant spider! Ok, so I actually found it in the corner of the basement, but it was a big spider. If my studly husband were home I would sic him on it and he would argue that spiders are good luck. If he's not home I will usually step up and take care of business. But this thing had to be related to Aragog. So I vetoed squishing it (that is a lot of ick) and I wasn't going to attempt to transport it outside. I calmly walked upstairs, got a glass from the cabinet and placed said glass over the spider. It glared at me and gnashed it's fangs.

Since I was doing laundry, I had to look at the little guy every time I went downstairs. Min followed me down and after a little exploring she found a new friend. She was very confused about the glass covering it and kept patting at it. Then she would look at me and meow. She finally came over and was rubbing against my leg. I told her "Tough noogies" and walked away.

Later I found the glass pushed onto a crack and the spider was no where to be found. I'm going to go with the theory and Min helped to smuggle her new many-legged friend to freedom.

Story Two:

Game Night was Saturday! It was so great to have people visit, thank you to all who came!

Truth be told I've been feeling a little down lately. I'm stuck indoors with the lousy weather and the only talking I have some days is with Xander, who is not yet a conversational wiz. So it was great to relax with friends.

So I think everyone had a merry time, there was great food and fun games. We played a new one called The Last Word, and we won't discuss just how bad I was at it. And the boys vs girls Cranium match was fun as always (girls ruled, but I didn't have to tell you that).

Story Three:

After everyone left Game Night, the wind really picked up and we even saw some lightening. The wind continued and the temperature dropped through Sunday. When we returned from church on Sunday morning the electricity was out. Which meant no heat. Disaster! Chris actually called up a friend to come over and explain how to properly work a wood-burning fireplace so we didn't burn the place down. So guess what we'll have at the next Game Night :)

The electric finally came back on about 4ish and the heater ran and ran, but would not get to above 57 degrees (for those concerned for Xander, we did turn on little heater to warm up his room). Seriously, it just kept running. I'm trying to sleep and can see the gas bill skyrocketing. I call in to our home warranty this morning to arrange someone to look at our heater and Chris decides to pull out the air filter. Within an hour and a half the temperature was up 5 degrees.

So today's lesson is if you buy a house, change the air filter.

And finally, a Name that Screen Cap - television edition.

3 comments:

chicks514 said...

Seaquest DSV. Starring *sniff* *sniff* the late Jonathan Brandis *sniff* *sniff*.

(I'm going to be in trouble, aren't I?)

Anonymous said...

NEVER mock the early 90's hotness that was Jonathan Brandis! Man I loved him. But I assume this is up today to honor our captain, Roy Scheider. (Seaquest has been left off most of his obits...wonder why?)

Hugs said...

I can't believe Chris got that, and he will receive a swift kick for mocking my high school honey.

Yes, Schneider's passing inspired today's choice. Some news seemed to list everything but this :(