Saturday, February 03, 2007

One New Year's resolution down!

My week without my husband draws to a close. I kept busy, but also didn't get chores done. So my approval ratings as a house wife are in danger. I'm getting laundry and dishes done, as well as picking up a few piles that developed. Really, he has spent years trying to break my pile habit. He leaves for a few days and they just appear! It's like the piles are paying me visits because they know they are not welcome while he's here.

My Monday activity was going to a little workshop at the library to Learn to Knit. Success! I can knit! Proof:
After spending many more hours working, it now looks like this:


What IS it, you ask? Well, the reason the library had this workshop is to support Warm Up America. There is a local chapter, Warm Up Worthington, and everyone knits (or crochets) rectangles. Then the rectangles are joined together to make afghans. There is a knitting bee today, but I have chores. Later in February the library is having a finishing bee to put the rectangles together. A patron even donated a ton of yarn (which is what you see above).

The day of the workshop I went to Joann's Fabric and bought needles and yarn. The directions said I should get 'chunky' yarn. I asked a lady and she walked me around and apparently of the two aisles of yarn, they only had four colors of chunky yarn. It even said chunky on the wrapper. Then I went to buy the needles, the directions said size 10. So grabbed those and ran. I only found out later that there is the size and then there is the length. I bought 10mm, which is the length. The size was actually 15. So mine was looking all strung out and had big loops. So the next day I ran and bought new needles (the ones you see above).

5 comments:

Rob said...

You can't run your house-wifedency based on polls, right? Besides, having learned a new skill more than makes up for not doing chores, which you already KNEW how to do, in my book anyway...

Hugs said...

Rob, I like the way you think. Maybe I should put you in charge of my next campaign.

Thanks for all of the comments on the old stuff too. It's nice to know someone out there gets my comic book references.

Now I just need someone who will get my whedon-verse references.

Anonymous said...

Good job on the knitting!

Hey, I don't know if I'm worthy enough for you to add my new journal to your link of friends journals, but if you do, then I'll add you as mine.

http://www.ukie5.blogspot.com/

The one and the only uke!

Anonymous said...

Guess what? I just learned how to knit this weekend while in Vermont and am going out tonight to get the Stitch n' Bitch book and my own needles! What timing! (Yours looks way better than mine though!)

Hugs said...

Ikkin - crazy timing! I heard that Stitching book is good. We should totally hang out and knit and watch Gilmore Girls. Because that is what crazy young girls do on wild Tuesday nights.

Today I managed to incorporate a purl stitch. I am so proud of myself. Everyone I know is getting a scarf for Christmas.