Friday, October 05, 2007

Suburban Living

We live in a pretty good neighborhood. Case in point, garage sales. There's at least one, if not more, every Friday and Saturday morning. I've only gotten to partake a couple of times. Today Xander and I were out for a stroll and came across one that sold baby clothes. And these are nice brands, well cared for. I spent $5.25 for 4 sleepers, 2 shirts and 4 ensemble outfits. I love saving money.

One of the weird things I've seen while walking around is televisions in the garages. I guess it's the 'man area' and putting a tv there would help pass the time being a grease monkey. But there are some large televisions in some of these garages and they are all suspended from the ceiling, like at a sports bar. It boggles my mind.

Other than that, it is really nice being in a neighborhood that has well maintained yards and families that play outside. There are already lots of Halloween decorations out, which makes me grin like a fool. When we were looking at houses in February one of the things I looked for was houses that still had Christmas decorations up (really, in February they should be down*). There is only one house I've seen around here that has done that, and it's just a little garland around the doorway.

The downside to such a great neighborhood is that the retailers are coming. Within a couple of years there will be a big complex consisting of Meijer, Home Depot and Kohl's (more to come) within ONE mile of here. I like all of those stores, but don't want them on my doorstep, darnit!

* I say this now, we'll see how fast I get mine down with a baby hollering for attention.

No comments: