Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Have Computer, Will Tutor

Since having the kids, I have been tutoring in order to make a little extra money. I enjoy teaching and, quite frankly, I like talking to anyone over the age of three during the course of the day.

I advertised when I first started. I made business cards, for lack of a better description, and handed them out at the local schools. The last high school I taught at has me listed as a tutor. I even signed up at on online tutor search site.

Each year I've had about three or four students. Some found me through the high school I taught at, some through the business cards. A couple students are from the school I currently teach at, either to prep to get into my class or after they've gone on to high school.

This past summer I had to let a couple students know that I would be moving away for the year and would be unable to tutor them during that time. The one girl left and called within five minutes (seriously, I thought she called because she left something at my house) and said she'd like to continue working with me. She asked if I could get a webcam and Skype.

I talked it over with Chris and we decided it would be no problem. I talked with the parent of the other student I was going to tutor and they wanted in on that too. I even talked to a couple people who said "Why don't you try teaching your class that way, so you don't have to take a year off from teaching?" I decided against that because I am just too hands on with projects and I didn't want to deal with parent conferences, grading and other nuances from across the country.

So now I have three days a week that I put the kids down for their naps and turn on the computer. It has worked out extremely well, thought it's not as nice as being there. I use a white board to hold up problems and show work and my students do the same. There are little problems like feedback or connection issues but they have been minor.

There are only two little problems. The tutoring needs to be during nap time because otherwise I spend too much time shooing the children away and trying to distract them. "Who are you talking to, Mom? Oh, hi Clare! Look at this!" And there is the time difference of three hours. So even if I wanted to tutor in the evening, it's ten o'clock at night for my students.

I'm still getting requests for tutoring from different places. I received a call from a mom from the high school and she said I had such nice things said about me, it was hard to turn her down. And despite putting up a sign saying "unavailable" on the tutoring website, I am still getting requests from their. Which reminds me, I have to go politely decline someone that just sent an email today.

I've thought about tutoring here in California. However, this house isn't big enough for me to tutor a student while the kids play quietly in the other room. There is no other room. It's a dining room/ living room combo. I'd have to lock the kids in the bedroom and then would find every stitch of clothing, every diaper and every wipe strewn across the floor.

No comments: