Monday, August 18, 2008

Christmas in August

I have three college friends that I try to get together with once a year. When we do get together we call it Christmas and it includes presents. It is getting rather hard to plan these events because I live in Ohio, B lives near D.C., R lives near Pittsburg and M lives in China. This year the event was at our house last weekend. R couldn't make it :( But M brought her boyfriend so I finally got to met him and Chris got some male companionship.

M and her guy showed up Friday night, so we all just hung out and watched the Olympics. It was more interesting watching it with an American who has lived in China for a few years and her Chinese boyfriend. I finally watched one of Phelps gold wins, and it just so happened to be the nail-biter finish.

Saturday we woke up and B arrived. We spent a few hours catching up (while Chris and M's guy dug up spirea in the yard) and we all went to lunch. Then we all walked around downtown, which I don't get to do very often. There are antiques, boutiques, a bookstore, pottery painting, coffee shop, etc. It was a gorgeous day out so when we arrived back home it was voted to play Wiffle Ball in the back yard, complete with ghost runners. And the girls did great until the boys pulled in a ringer from next door. It was the first time M's boy had played and I think we all had a good time, despite running in sandals.

Then was present time for the girls! (Xander was kind enough to loan me a 'Christmas tree')

I provided a thoroughly healthy dinner of beer-cheese fondue with bread and apples for dipping. Afterward Chris started the fire out back and we made s'mores. Yum! I woke up with a stomach ache in the middle of the night, but it was totally worth it.

B had to leave to get back to her guys (husband and baby), so M and I waited up to talk to R on the phone. It was great to hear from her but it was late and a long day, so I crashed that night.

Overall, I love this tradition. We don't do a great job of keeping in touch through out the year, but when we get together it's like no time has passed and I always have such a great time.

No comments: