Saturday, September 15, 2007

I so did sew

Last month I snuck off to a former coworker's house where she taught me the basics of a sewing machine. I learned to thread a bobbin and set it all up. I even made a couple of practice stitches on scrap material. But I wanted to put this knowledge to work. So this past week my mom helped me to pick out fabric. I pinned up the edges then stitched it all the way around. Wal-lah!


What on earth did I make? A sheet! For the crib!

I just know that half of you are astonished at my homemaking prowess. The other half is rolling your eyes and wondering if I just pinned the thing on. Yes, the bottom is pinned since I don't want to try elastic yet, but I assure you the sides are sewn.

I used a small zig-zag stitch. The bobbin ran out a couple of times, but I dealt with that pretty well. The big problem was that I could -not- keep it in a straight line. I'm sure this was due to it being a big piece of fabric that I let hang over the edge of the table instead of folding neatly next to the machine. Hey, it's a small table, ok? And only people who really care about straight stitches will look anyway.

My next project is to replace the curtain in Peanut's room and make a matching pillow. I have a pattern for a pillow, but I now realize that the sides need bunched which is more than I think I can handle yet. So I'll look up an easy pattern for a pillow. I'm hoping the curtain in the room will serve for me to make a rough pattern for that part.

This should get interesting. With any luck, I'll figure out enough to sew everyone something interesting for Christmas. Haha!

1 comment:

Rob said...

And why is it that one who sews is not called a sewer?