Sunday, June 03, 2007

Our Yard, Illustrated

First, it did occur to me to just put all of these pictures in an on-line photo album and post a link. But I like to do things the hard way, what can I say. So our new home was professionally landscaped by the gardener who originally lived here and maintained by the previous occupants. Now that spring is here, we get to see what surprises there are growing in our yard. There will be more and I will update, so don't be surprised and bear with me as I struggle with what plant is what.

First, on the side of our house are three bushes. If you look closely you can see they are flowering bushes of some type. The bushes are fairly dense so the flowers are just kind of peeking out in little bunches.

Next in the front of our house, but kind of hidden behind everything is azaleas. It didn't come in too well this year, likely due to the late frost, but I do like azaleas :)

This is one tree in the front of the house, I think my knowledgeable husband said it was a weeping cherry tree. I'm not posting the picture of it, but from one angle you could see a broken limb with cherry-size gray pods growing on it. Chris managed to cut it out yesterday. Also notice all of the shrubbery. Shrubbery, I tell you! The bald patch was where some plant was but it apparently died because it was not growing back in.


Here's the other tree in front of our house. This has since been trimmed because it hangs right in your face as you walk up the sidewalk. Not good for us tall-ies. The bush on the right somehow offended Chris and he chopped off at least half of it. Actually, he thinks it's supposed to trimmed and it was hanging on the driveway scratching up my car, so it deserved to get whacked.


This tall grass in the backyard turned out to be some type of orchid. At least it had this nice purple orchid-like blooms. Unfortunately they have already died, so no pictures.


The coniferous trees along the back fence. They make a nice barrier so it doesn't feel like we are sharing our yard with the whole neighborhood. But they do have a LOT of pine cones. I will have to find some craft that incorporates pine cones so I can make money off of this. Or at least put peanut butter on them and use them as bird feeders.


I'm not sure what kind of tree this is, it has mystified both myself and my mom. It started out with pods like it was a magnolia, then it spread out like a regular tree, then it got all of these beautiful pink flowers on it (see next picture) and now that the flowers have died it has developed what I think look the beginnings of buckeyes. Clueless I tell you.

The backyard has more ornamental shrubbery. We aren't sure what they all are, but the first one has mini pine cones, the second is slightly lopsided and the last is apparently expensive to buy.



And there is a lilac bush/tree! It smelled great and it's right by the kitchen window. But alas, it has lost its blooms.


We also have irises, some type of bushy wildflower that came out of nowhere and is bigger than the bushes, lazy eyed suzannes, some other type of weedy looking thing that is growing small but tall flowers, chickpeas, vines (that I am trying to pull up because they are already killing two plants), a holly bush, more coniferous pine-cone-bearing trees and a rose bush.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice yard. I like the coniferous trees.

Anonymous said...

The pictures don't do it justice, such a nice yard!

Mandy

Anonymous said...

Wow-it's like you guys own a house or something!