Monday, April 18, 2011

Trying Something New

While on vacation in San Diego, we tried a couple new places to eat. The one that I picked was called Pacific Coast Grill. It had good food reviews, stated it was child friendly and prices weren't bad. Imagine my surprise to show up, see a dark restaurant with lots of couples and not be given a children's menu. But the waitress had the children's menu memorized and bread appeared on the table immediately so we decided to tough it out.

Now most of you know that I am a picky eater. While growing up my mom would make me a hamburger any time there was meatloaf or spaghetti because I wouldn't touch them. In college I survived on cereal, pepperoni pizza and Mountain Dew.

Then along came Chris. On our second date he introduced me pineapple and ham pizza that he made. I was in love (with the pizza). Slowly, over eleven years now, he has gotten me to try new things. I'm still not a fan of Mexican cuisine but I've warmed up to Chinese and am willing to try new things more often.

So will scanning the menu at this restaurant I decide to try something a little different than normal. Kabobs. Ok, so that isn't too new. But I chose to have steak and salmon. I am not much of a seafood person (did you hear what happened to me at freshman Homecoming?) but I keep hearing how it's oh-so-good-for-you. So I took a chance.

And it was fabulous. It was the teriyaki sauce that made it taste not so fishy. It was the first time in quite a while that I actually cleaned my plate.

In an effort to start eating healthier, last night we had salmon, rice and asparagus for dinner. I thought "This needs teriyaki sauce!" but alas there was no such sauce in the house. But in a flash of inspiration I looked up a recipe online. I had all of the ingredients so I whipped out a pot, set it on the oven and threw in the ingredients. Chris had already started to grill salmon and some steak but the sauce was ready in minutes so he poured some on.

Again, fabulous! Xander even ate the fish with no complaints, even asked for extra sauce.

I love it when a plan comes together.

1 comment:

Ikkin said...

You'll have to share your recipe with me, because I still am not brave enough to order salmon, or even think about cooking it on my own!