Monday, September 20, 2010

MyPhone

In preparation for our big trip, Chris and I decided to get new, fancy phones. iPhones, in fact. Our old phones were fine, but we wanted easier texting and liked all of the features and decided to splurge. It turned out to be an even bigger splurge because the only ones available were the phones with more memory. I actually don't know how I made it through the process without having an anxiety attack.

Chris's has been great. He loves it.

I seem to have troubles though. First, my account was set up wrong and instead of being on a family plan with Chris I was set up individually. This was corrected but we still received a bill for the wrong account. Chris fixed that. Then we received a notice that my service would be discontinued if I didn't pay that bill. Chris fixed it again. I'm waiting to see what happens.

Then there is my bad luck with the phone itself. Less than two weeks after getting the phone I was talking to Chris when the call dropped. (This happens a little too often for me, but we don't have great service in either house.) I waited for him to call back and about ten minutes later I figured I would call him. But my phone was dead. Nothing came on. Nothing turned off. Nothing charged. It was just a nicely assembled pile of parts.

I took it to the store the next day and they agreed. Dead. They replaced it with no charge and no hassle, which was great. It was not great that I lost photos, contacts, calendar information, etc. But I picked myself up and moved on.

Last week I was finally able to hook up my iPhone to my iTunes to sync up the information. It asked me if I wanted to restore. Like a ninny, I agreed. I thought "It will warn me if it deletes anything, all programs give warnings." No, it did not. This time it was hundreds of photos lost. Family and friends pictures I took specifically before leaving Ohio. Pictures of the house in case something happens and so I can plan remodeling. Pictures of the kids. Pictures of the beginning of the Pearl Jam quilt I will make for Chris. Gone! I also lost all of my contacts again.

I may have cried a little. Chris didn't know what to say to make it better.

I called and talked to the help people, they agreed it was gone.

I think I've recovered from that loss. I have my contacts back because I did bring my old phone and was able to get some from Chris's phone. There is nothing to be done about the pictures though. When I see you all next year, I may not recognize you.

No comments: