Saturday, July 11, 2009

And that bunch of green is called what?

Our vegetable garden is growing really well this year, thanks to Chris. I'm not sure what all we have growing, but it includes cauliflower, tomatoes (of course), peppers, cantaloupe and zucchini. The zucchini plant is huge and is slowly taking over one end of the garden, so I better figure out what else to make besides zucchini bread. Mmm, that sounds good right now. Zucchini bread with chocolate chips, yum! I did see a recipe for stuffed zucchini, maybe I'll give that a try.

We also decided to join a CSA program (Community Supported Agriculture). There were different amounts we could decide on and we prepayed one amount. We decided on getting one portion of vegetables and one portion of fruits every other week. Here's what we received the first time I picked it up.


I don't even remember everything we received. It included those beautiful strawberries, beets, turnips, broccoli raab (??), and a couple other things that I have no idea about. I'm really having to expand my taste bud spectrum here. I don't know half of the veggies that they give me or how to prepare them. I've never really eaten beets! The upside is that the program gave me the nifty bag you see in the photo and they also include a couple of recipes for the vegetables included. Slowly I will learn.

2 comments:

Dandysue said...

We are in a CSA program too! Asa made zucchini brownies they are awesome you don't even know you are eating veggies! I would love your bread recipe. Asa and I decided just to give all the beets away to his parents! Yuck!

Hugs said...

Yeah, I tried a beet with orange glaze recipe and it wasn't horrible but not great either. My zucchini bread recipe is the one in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It's probably online. I just add a half cup (or so...) of chocolate chips to it.