Friday, October 24, 2008

I avoid Steve and Jimmy

To be properly attired for my brother's wedding I needed silver, strappy shoes. And I do not like shoe shopping. And September and October are not silver, strappy shoe season in the stores. And did I mention I don't like shoe shopping?

I don't remember when the dislike started. Shoes just never seem to fit me quite right. I'm not quite a narrow, but some shoes are too wide. I am too picky about style and color. I don't like to spend money on shoes that I don't know I'll wear on some consistent basis.

The exception being my Adidas that I don't wear often but will never get rid of.

To give you an idea, my senior year I bought a pair of tan Vans. The ones with a thick sole and rubber across the toe (I'd get a picture, but can't find one). I wore those things for two years straight. They were my comfort shoes during my first year of college. I loved those shoes and when the tread was gone, my mom tried to find a replacement pair. Unfortunately, fashion moved forward and she had to get a different brand that were not the same thing.

But I digress.

I tried to shop for shoes, but the few I found and that fit cost $50+ which I didn't want to fork over.

I found a friend had been in many weddings and thought she had some. Unfortunately, they were a closed, pointed toe and half of a size too small.

So I packed up Xander and made one last effort to find a pair. Off to DSW and I actually found two pairs that worked and had to weigh the pros and cons and actually decide on one pair.

The first pair were these strappy reptile sandals. They were the first shoes I spotted after walking into the store, so I felt like it was meant to be. Pros: price, wearable with jeans. Cons: huge heel.

After meandering around I found these slingbacks in silver tucked away in clearance. They were ok. Pros: better price, lower heal. Cons: don't stay on as well, not really wearable with anything else I own.

So I wandered around some more and let Xander bop in his stroller to the new age-techno music they had going. I tried on these boots for fun and am still tempted to go back for them. And I finally decided to get the reptile sandals. I felt so cool buying them, I never make a purchase like that! And at the wedding, my sister was totally jealous. Of course my feet killed me by the end of the ceremony, but at least I looked good!

1 comment:

Dandysue said...

Those shoes are so cute, you're right! They would look great with jeans! Why do the cutest shoes have to be so painful? The boots are cute too BTW.

Mandy