Monday, July 30, 2012

Back to Fit

I mentioned before that, while in California, I really enjoyed going to the gym. It was nice for someone else to take care of Xander and Josie for an hour or two. I really enjoyed going to the BodyPump class and then relaxing in the hot tub. I didn't lose weight but definitely lost fat and gained muscle.

Then I had the double whammy of getting pregnant and moving back to Ohio. I actually did okay with the first trimester of pregnancy because I was still in California and still went to the gym. But as soon as we moved back the weight started piling on and the muscle slowly disappeared. By the end of the pregnancy I was definitely heavier than in either of the pregnancies before.

Hannah was born in February and I spent a few months in survival mode. I just wanted to get sleep and make sure all three kids were healthy.

But then summer hit. I was out of school and home with the kids all day. And I realized that almost none of my summer clothes fit. I could get away with it in the spring because I just wore exercise pants. I don't have a lot of exercise shorts and don't want to buy a lot of clothes that won't fit after I lose the extra weight.

So slowly I am making changes to get back into shape.

Eating has always been a big part of the problem. Pizza, Mountain Dew (although caffeine free) and ice cream are my favorites. And it wasn't uncommon to have casseroles covered in cheese with a side of garlic bread. So I've slowly worked on healthier meals, more water and smaller portions. Chris has been a big help with getting me to eat more salads. I almost enjoy them now! In fact, on my last cheat day I didn't enjoy the delivery pizza or fast food burger at all.

Exercise is harder because we have our little home gym of free weights but not cardio machines. Chris suggested going to a park and taking turns running while the kids play on the playground. It worked surprisingly well. Then we bought a smaller barbel for me to use with the weights so I could make my own BodyPump style routines. I miss having the instructor, other people (I feel driven to keep up with the people around me) and mirrors but doing it myself it better than nothing.

A few weeks ago Chris told me that people at his job were doing a Biggest Loser competition so I joined that. The idea of winning money for losing weight is definitely motivating. After two weigh-ins, I have been middle of the road, I'm losing weight consistently but not at a high rate. That just makes me want to try harder (Chris was worried I would just give up).

And finally, the biggest change is that I joined an adult soccer league. This was another suggestion by Chris (he is being super supportive). It's been 20+ years since I've played and I gave birth five months ago, so I expected to embarrass myself spectacularly. We've had two practices and I did trip and fall over nothing the first day. But I'm learning my strengths (defense!) and weaknesses (sprinting!) and I didn't even hurt much after the second practice (I limped and moaned for days after the first practice).

The first game is this Friday. I have the shin guards but still need cleats and a red shirt. I'll update here how the soccer season goes as well as the Biggest Loser.

No comments: